I love a bolognese especially when it’s made with lentils.
This recipe is positively one of my favourites on the app, especially on a cold and dreary fall night and is super quick to whip up and is a great protein hit with the walnuts and the lentils.
1 large spaghetti squash, roasted and seeded
1.5 cups cooked lentils, black preferably
1 med can tomatoes, crushed
1 cup carrots, peeled and teeny tiny diced
1 white onion, diced
1 cup walnut pieces, chopped coarsely
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp oregano, dried
1/2 tsp thyme, dried
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
4 tbsp coconut oil
sea salt, black pepper to taste
1/4 cup water
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
2. Position rack in centre of oven
3. Line a large sheet pan with parchment, set aside
4. Place whole spaghetti squash on sheet pan and bake for 40 minutes
5. While the squash is cooking heat 2 tbsp coconut oil, onion, garlic and carrot and walnuts. Sautee until veg is soft and translucent
6. Add lentils, oregano, thyme and water
7. simmer on low/medium heat for 20 minutes until reduced and thickened slightly.
** you may want to add a little coconut sugar or maple syrup to balance the acidity, but it is not required.
In a separate medium sauce pan heat remaining coconut oil and add squash without seeds. Sautee and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley (parm or vegan parm if you desire), serve sauce on top of squash.